Wednesday, May 29, 2013

RTW - What Book Swept You Off Your Feet?

Road Trip Wednesday is a ‘Blog Carnival,’ where YA Highway's contributors post a weekly writing- or reading-related question that begs to be answered. In the comments, you can hop from destination to destination and get everybody's unique take on the topic.

This Week's Topic: What's been your most surprising read of the year so far---the book you weren't sure about going in that really swept you off your feet?

My Answer:
I don't pick a book up unless I feel it is going to sweep me away (or unless I need to read it for some assignment).  I just don't do it.  On the other side of that, once I pick a book up, I won't put it down until it's done.*  Sadly, there have been a few disappointments, but overall none that really didn't cut it for me.  But what two books swept me away?

Okay, so you're probably thinking that I've lost coolness points because I read something so...romance.  You'll probably drop me to the bottom of the list when you hear that I've now read this book four times.  But seriously, STOP RIGHT THERE!  This book is freakin' awesome!  And swept away?  That's just what happened!  This book was quirky, fun, silly, sexy, and oh-so-funny!

The premise is this college girl wants to lose her virginity, tries and fails at the whole one night stand thing, then finds out the guy is her college professor.  You probably don't think it's for you, but if you have a drop of estrogen in you, then this book is for you!  I love love love loved it!



This one took a little more time for me to get into, but after I did, can you say psychological thriller?  I've never loved a group of weird people as much as I loved these people.  I've never loved a house -- a house! -- as much.  Once you're in, you're in, and you can't stop turning the pages until it's over.

The premise is a girl in her 20s dies who just so happens to look exactly like a Dublin detective.  The detective goes undercover as the dead girl and all sorts of psychological brain-warping things go on.  Who's the killer?  I think I know.  Wait. Don't tell me it's her?  No, it can't be her.  Oh phew, I don't think it is.  Wait??  Maybe it is!  Oh, shoot.  Read it.  It's worth the time.  Oh, and just because it's the second in a series doesn't mean you need to read the first book first.  You don't.


*There is one exception:  DANIEL DERONDA.  Sorry GE.  You know I love you, but I just couldn't do it.  I made it 250 pages in and then had to give it up.

My Question for You:
What do you recommend I read next? Have you read either of these, and what's your take?

No comments:

Post a Comment