Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Setting and the Society

A century ago, a series of explosions in the Industrial Center plummeted the surrounding towns and cities into darkness.  Chemicals were released into the atmosphere and mass deaths were reported.  Out of the havoc, a new government was formed.  The Society's sole goal was to regulate the people in an attempt to prevent another series of explosions of such magnitude and devastation.  One hundred years later, the Society has succeeded.  Crime is abolished.  Sickness is rare.  There is no hunger, no poverty, no disease.  The industry, education, and individuality of the people are strictly monitored, and order is preserved.  The people are uniformed.  Ordinances and curfews are maintained.

Such is the world in which Celia lives.

In the beginning of the novel, Celia returns to school just in time for the students to give the Word of Honor.  I knew that the Society would require students to pledge themselves to its service.  After the Explosion, the Society certainly wouldn't want to do away with such formal traditions as the Pledge of Allegiance.  They would want to taper it, though.  They would want to form it to suit their own needs.  Our own Pledge is far too nice and leaves too much room for individuality for the Society.  I wanted to make the Word of Honor as realistic as I possibly could, but it also needed to reflect the type of government they established.

Therefore, I decided to do a little research.  I thought that other countries' pledges would inspire me to write something creative but realistic.  Using my trusty internet browser, I searched for other countries' pledges.  I was amazed when the only thing I could discover was from the Philippines.  Many countries have an oath people who want to become citizens must take, but as far as an every-day-before-school-we-recite-this?  I couldn't find anything.  That was my history lesson for the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment