Friday, February 15, 2013

A Couple Thoughts

Thought #1
The most recent lines in LitD I enjoy are:

"He thought for a moment you were going to kill him."
"I thought for a moment I might."

Thought #2
LitD has taught me at least one thing about myself.  You decide what that thing is.

As in many stories, there is a love interest.  When I reached the point where the two characters finally kiss, I found myself unreasonably uncomfortable and voyeuristic.  I wanted to yell at myself, "Seriously?!  These are fictional characters! They don't get privacy."  But here I am feeling as if I'm watching something I shouldn't be.  It's no wonder why, when I see couples making out in the hallway at school, I look the other way and quicken my pace.  I am not one of those teachers who interrupts them.  I'm far too embarrassed.

Update -- February 18, 2013
I just discovered how easy it is for me to write about the handling of firearms.  How strange it is that I cannot write about intimacy, but when it comes to writing about loading and shooting a gun I'm all over it.

2 comments:

  1. Totally get that--I even have moments when writing characters that I want to like doing bad things, where I try to rationalize the bad thing they're doing before I stop myself. Psychologically, I wonder if it's because everything we create is ourselves, and we know that we'd want privacy, and understanding, and someone to like us, even when we're not deserving, or not real.

    ReplyDelete